Thursday 22 March 2012

Doctor's appointment again....

Just came back from a doctor's appointment. Same as usual, black and white...boring. It's the same, every single time I visit the hospital... I either have a blood transfusion and an iron chelation (pronounce as ke-lay-shun) therapy or a blood test. Ugh!

Today at the hospital, I had a blood transfusion. Blood transfusion is very important, it saves my life and gives me a chance to be a normal human being, where I can participate in activities at school such as sports.

The reason being that, blood transfusion gives me healthy red blood cells with normal haemoglobin. The red blood cells only live up to approximately one-hundred and twenty days, so I have to visit the hospital monthly for another transfusion. Usually the blood transfusion takes up to four hours but today it only took about two hours. What a SCORE!

After the Blood transfusion I had an iron chelation therapy to remove the excess iron from the blood transfusion earlier. There are two options:
Either Deferoxamine which is a liquid medicine subcutaneous injected slowly under my skin. It's painful and I hate it! (I get them when I visit the hospital like today) and the other option is Deferansirox, which is the one I prefer. Its a pill which is taken daily, easy :) but it makes me nausea and gives me really bad headaches. Some times its bad enough for me to miss school.

No comments:

Post a Comment